Crazy 24 hours

Well, really, it’s been kind of a crazy few days.

Sam is kind of unpredictable sometimes. Just when I think I have his schedule figured out, it changes. And those changes make me worry that something is wrong. Sam has been active pretty predictably every night at around 11pm. Well, on Friday night he wasn’t very active (hadn’t really been all day), but I just kind of filed that little observation away in my brain as a hmm. On Saturday morning I went to a Christmas brunch with the women’s ministry at lunch, and he was pretyy active right after I got done eating (which is pretty normal for him) but then he was really, really quiet for the rest of the day. In addition, at about 6:30pm, I started having contractions. Nothing major, nothing that hurt, just contractions. Only they wouldn’t go away. Tim and I watched a movie and used Contraction Master to time them. They weren’t getting regular, but they were sort of close together — anywhere from 5 or 6 minutes apart, to 11 or 12 minutes apart. They were lasting a while, too — at least a minute for most of them, with some as long as 2 or 2.5 minutes. Normally, with Braxtion Hicks, I drink some water, lie on my left side and they fizzle out. Well, I tried that and they weren’t going away, although they weren’t growing closer together either, and although some were sort of intense, they weren’t REALLY intense.

Needless to say, I was confused. Was this labor? False labor? Signs were ambiguous. But I didn’t want to assume that it wasn’t labor and have it be labor if it could be stopped, you know?

So after 5 hours of these contractions, I decided to call the midwife on call. It wasn’t Barb, but another awesome midwife. She called me back and we talked for a while. She recommended I take a warm bath and drink some herbal tea and call her back in an hour. Well, the bath and the tea seemed to work, because the contractions fizzled out. So, at around 1:30am, we finally went to sleep.

After the night we had, we skipped church this morning. We woke up and made some breakfast, but I was still worried because Sam was really very quiet still. He loves breakfast almost as much as I do, and usually kicks like crazy afterwards, or at least has hiccups. Well, there wasn’t any movement. I could poke him and he’d sort of reluctantly move, but it was just weird and not like he normally moves. I tried to lie still for a while on my left side and do kick counts and they were a little low — at least for me. His movements were very faint, too. I really had to concentrate in order to feel anything — and normally his kicks and jabs and flips and twists are fairly violent.

So, Friday being inactive, Saturday being inactive plus contractions that wouldn’t let up, and Sunday morning being inactive all made me nearly sick with worry. I decided to call the midwife on call again. She recommended that I drink something sugary like hot cocoa, take a brisk walk, and then lie down and do kick counts again. Tim and I did those things, and he was still not moving very much at all. At this point I was crying and Tim and I made the decision to go to Ball Memorial for a nonstress test just to set my mind at ease.

Of course, as soon as we got to the hospital and got hooked up to the monitor, he started kicking like crazy. He apparently just wanted to make me frantic with worry and then be fine. I’m sure when he is 5 and hiding in the clothes racks at Wal-Mart and I can’t find him, I will feel the same way. šŸ™‚

They also monitored my uterine activity. According to our nurse, I have an irritable uterus. I don’t know what this means. The nurse kind of annoyed me — she said that she thought I had a big baby, and that the reason my uterus was irritable was because it was so big. They checked my cervix though — and I was not dilated or effaced at all. So apparently this uterine irritability hasn’t been doing anything to my cervix. I was kind of hoping that at least for all of this I would be a little bit effaced or something. šŸ™‚

Anyway, I have to go in for an appointment this week. I am scheduled for an appointment a week from tomorrow, but the doctor on call (who would deliver if we needed to transfer to the hospital) said that I needed to be seen earlier than that. I am starting to wonder if my dates are off. Maybe it’s just because of all the comments I get all the time starting to get to me. But if I am further along than we think I am, I would like to know.

It’s been a crazy 24 hours, and I am super tired.


2 responses to “Crazy 24 hours

  1. First, I just want to say that you should take comments from hospital staff with a grain of salt sometimes. They have their own (often incorrect) ideas of what’s healthy and normal for a pregnancy.

    Your baby is the size that it’s supposed to be and people are just ignorant with big comments. They forget that average size for a baby is 8-9 pounds when left to come in its own time. People these days are so induction happy that alot of babies are born underweight these days.

    Okay, enough of that.

    Second, a decrease in baby movement is very common. The longer you are pregnant the less room they have to move around.

  2. Oh those last few weeks made me constantly wondering “is this something?” “Is this something?” Or if something was wrong etc. It made time go by slowly. Arg. Well as much as you can try to enjoy the last few weeks! Once the baby comes time goes sooo much faster!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s