Before the throne of God above
I have a strong and perfect plea.
A great high Priest whose Name is Love
Who ever lives and pleads for me.
My name is graven on His hands,
My name is written on His heart.
I know that while in Heaven He stands
No tongue can bid me thence depart.
When Satan tempts me to despair
And tells me of the guilt within,
Upward I look and see Him there
Who made an end of all my sin.
Because the sinless Savior died
My sinful soul is counted free.
For God the just is satisfied
To look on Him and pardon me.
Behold Him there the risen Lamb,
My perfect spotless righteousness,
The great unchangeable I AM,
The King of glory and of grace,
One in Himself I cannot die.
My soul is purchased by His blood,
My life is hid with Christ on high,
With Christ my Savior and my God!
- We are reading Respectable Sins by Jerry Bridges for Women’s Bible study, and it is so so so so good. Hard, but good. It is a little (okay, a lot) scary to have my sinfulness shown to me, even in small glimpses, but it’s important. As someone said during discussion last night, if we don’t know the greatness of our sin, we can’t know the greatness of the gift that was given to us through Jesus Christ. In the book, the author writes that we need to preach the gospel to ourselves every day in order to combat sin in our lives. One of the ways I preach the gospel to myself is through hymns, and this hymn in particular really spells it out for me.
- I want this song played at my funeral/homegoing celebration.
- I wish we sang this song in church. I think I am in the minority, and that’s okay. I really am okay with that. I understand that not everyone worships God through And Can it Be and O For a Thousand Tongues to Sing the way I do, and I respect that. I would not want to make it difficult for someone to have their heart stirred for God in worship because they can’t connect with the words or the tune of hymns. I’m just saying…I like hymns, and I am glad we sing some in church, and I wish Before the Throne was one of them.
- This post doesn’t have anything to do with babies. Except: when I was playing this song earlier on the laptop, Sam moved towards the music. I could feel him.
- Tonight we are taking more stuff up to our house. I am excited.
- I bought a really super cool coffee table at Goodwill today.